Assistant Boiler Operator/Fire Protection
OPEN TO GENERAL PUBLIC
NOTE: Selection process is in accordance with Chapter 170, as amended.
SCOPE OF WORK:
Responsible for completing necessary repairs on steam generating, feed pumping, condensate transferring and fuel hauling systems. This position serves as a backup for Steam Plant Supervisor. Oversees all functions related to the fire protection system such as pump houses and service lines.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Must have the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the following:
1. Schedule and conduct preventive maintenance in Steam Plant and the Fire Protection system.
Blow dust out of motors and switch gears as needed
Grease conveyors, pumps bearings and fan bearings
Lubricate all boiler house and Fire Protection equipment when and where needed
Services and maintains Pump houses and Fire Protection lines
2. Complete all needed repairs.
Repair valve and piping leaks when they occur
Replace pipes, valves, bad packing, furnace parts or boiler fans, when needed
Does annual Fire extinguisher inspection and addresses issues needing attention
3. Complete maintenance on boiler house, and Fire Protection equipment.
Maintain boiler house unit heaters
Wash boilers as their operating schedule permits. Make sure at least one boiler is shut down, washed and ready for immediate use
Inspect boiler feed pumping and fuel conveying systems at least once a day during the regular work week
Inspect and drain Fire Protection lines weekly for condensate build up or water accumulation
4. Practices safe and efficient operation of the steam plant, filling in for absent boiler operator.
5. Available to adjust in a change of schedule on occasion to meet staffing needs.
6. Available 24/7 when practical, to address issues outside of the normal operating schedule.
7. Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Works in extreme hot, cold, noisy, dusty work environment. Must be able to lift up to 80 lbs. Must wear all appropriate safety apparel and equipment and comply with all safety policies and practices of MTE.
1. Requires a high school diploma or equivalent.
2. Requires skill in the use to cutting torches, chain ratchets and hand tools.
3. Must have a working knowledge of boiler operations, basic motor start-up and general mechanics.
4. Experience in welding is preferred.
5. If applicants are previous employees of Menominee Tribal Enterprises, they must have a positive past work record and history of positive job performance.
NOTE: It is not the responsibility of MTE to notify you of incomplete applications.
*Applicant must successfully pass a pre-employment drug & alcohol screening and background check