Forestry Project Intern Open Untill Filled
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
OPEN TO GENERAL PUBLIC
Note: Selection process is in accordance with Chapter 170, as amended.
Post Closes: Open Until Filled
Job Title: Forest Project Intern Status: Summer Work
Supervisor: Forest Development Forester Rate: $14.00
SCOPE OF WORK:
MTE Forest Management is responsible for the sustained yield management of the Menominee Tribal forest. Forest monitoring is an essential component of the management activities, because decision making process require updated, accurate information on the forest. This position shall be responsible for completing regeneration surveys to collect data in support of the Forest Development program. Other activities pertaining to forest management (e.g. deer browse surveys, other stand-level assessments, etc.) and specifically to invasive species surveys and eradication efforts will also be necessary. Also may be responsible for remarking permanent monitoring plots and assisting with crop tree and corrective pruning in regenerating white pine stands.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Familiar with the Menominee Reservation and forest management program and operations
- Will be asked to follow the policies within the MTE Employee handbook as applicable
- Ability to navigate using maps and GPS
- Ability to use compass for direction and various tools for distance measurements (e.g. loggers tape, chaining pins, hypsometers, etc.)
- Ability to identify tree species in Wisconsin
- Ability to accurately collect regeneration data on a fixed radius plot system
- (Communications and Organization)
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner to maintain effective relationships with coworkers and supervisors
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work flexible schedules due to the demands of deadlines
- Ability to occasionally work independently with minimal direct supervision while maintaining production with high quality of work
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
Work outdoors for extended periods in adverse terrain and weather conditions throughout the summer. Must be capable of walking cross country for extended distances (up to 5 miles) and periods of time (up to 8 hours). Required to wear necessary personal safety protection when in the forest or mill areas. Must be able to lift up to 20 lbs. Must be capable of operating an ATV for extended periods.
- Requires the completion of a 2-year degree in Forestry, Natural Resources, or related field at an SAF accredited university
- Completion of two years of study in a 4-year degree Forestry, Natural Resources or related program
- Preferred: Work experience of one field season (3 months) or completion of a minimum 5 week hands-on practical field course
- Must be in good physical condition
- Possess a good work ethic and professional demeanor
- Must possess a Wisconsin Driver License and be insurable under MTE insurance standards
- Completed application
- Copy of Tribal enrollment
- Copy of diploma or equivalent.
- Honorable or general military discharge paperwork
Note: It is not the responsibility of MTE to notify you of incomplete applications.
SUBMIT APPLICATIONS TO:
Levi O’Kimosh, Human Resource Generalist
Menominee Tribal Enterprises, PO Box 10, Neopit, WI 54150
Call: 715-756-2311 ext. 1137/1168/1135 if any questions.
*Applicant must successfully pass a pre-employment drug & alcohol screening and background