Premium Wood Supplier for Boat & Ship Building
Boat and Ship Building Wood Supplier
MTE proudly supplies boat and shipbuilders with premium lumber to construct seaworthy, beautiful vessels. For over 150 years, we have provided fine boat-building woods sustainably harvested and milled to meet exacting standards. We understand the structural integrity wood imparts to marine crafts. Whether you are building luxury yachts, commercial ships or recreational boats, our inventory includes a wide variety of wood species. We guarantee satisfaction on all boat and shipbuilding lumber!
Wood for Boats & Ship Building: Our SupplyWe supply high-quality wood products for boats and ships. When it comes to boat and shipbuilding, the choice of wood is pivotal to the vessel's structural integrity and longevity. We understand the right wood can make all the difference, which is why our selection is carefully curated to meet the diverse needs of shipbuilders and boat enthusiasts. From White Ash's exceptional strength to the workability of Eastern White Pine, we provide a comprehensive range of wood species ideal for various components.
2. Eastern White Pine: Eastern White Pine is lightweight, easy to work with and relatively stable. It is used in boat building for planking and decking on some vessels.
3. Red Oak: Red Oak is a hardwood with good strength and durability. It is used in boat construction for various components, including frames and trim.
4. Hard Maple: Hard Maple is a strong and durable hardwood. While not as commonly used as some other woods, it can be used for frames and other structural components in boat building.
5. Yellow Birch: Yellow Birch is a strong hardwood with good workability. It can be used in boat building for frames and other structural parts.
Kiln Dried Wood for Boats & Ships
Wood is a fundamental boat-building material, but its stability and lifespan depend heavily on proper drying and moisture content control. That’s why MTE kiln dries all our lumber intended for marine applications. Kiln drying reduces the wood’s moisture content to the ideal 15-18% range through temperature and humidity-regulated chambers. This prevents cracking, warping and rot issues associated with improper drying.
For large-scale projects, contact us for customized drying schedules to achieve precise moisture specifications. Our programmable kilns evenly reduce moisture content throughout the wood compared to unreliable air drying methods. Owners of high-end yachts and commercial ships demand the highest quality kiln-dried woods for lasting performance and beauty.
In addition to stability and longevity, kiln drying also improves the workability of woods like teak and mahogany by reducing internal stresses. Our kiln drying expertise optimizes fine boat-building woods for cutting, milling, turning and assembly without compromising strength. With marine grade, kiln-dried lumber from MTE Wood, boat builders benefit from exceptional stability, functionality and craftsmanship. We stand behind our kiln drying standards for quality lumber guaranteed to withstand the marine environment.
Menominee Tribal Enterprises has 6 kilns for drying wood:
- Our two newest kilns have a drying capacity from 370,000 FBM to 450,000 FBM
- Operating on 12-day cycles, 350 days/year
- An average of 2.5 million board feet of kiln-dried lumber is produced per year
FSC-100% Wood for Boats & Ships
FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) certification ensures the wood comes from responsibly managed and sustainable sources. While FSC certification does not directly relate to the moisture content or treatment of wood, it is important to ensure the wood used in boat and shipbuilding is sourced in an environmentally responsible manner. Builders support sustainable practices by purchasing FSC-certified wood.